Monday, January 09, 2012

Dealing with Grief and Eye Surgery

You know the old maxim, after a major loss don't make any big life decisions for awhile.  Well... I didn't.  I decided I needed to use the money I had received from my mom as part of her estate recently to spend it on eye surgery.  It's a little much to handle.  I mean, having eye surgery would be difficult to manage if everything was going well.

I can't see really well.  I'm in between my two eye surgeries.  My depth perception is off.  Stairs especially are difficult.  I probably shouldn't be driving.  One is has great far vision but no up close.  The other eye has no vision at all, and when I use readers to read up close, everything is very large.  This is disorienting to me.

As a teacher, I'm getting a little stressed because I can't see anything up close, and one eye working.  This is an exercise in patience and due diligence.  My favorite mantra is getting used daily:  One Thing at a Time.

I know I will have the other eye operated on in two days.  It's coming.  Met with the doctor this morning about what kind of a correction we wanted to do on this second eye.  I told him how I was not able to see up close and this was hard as a teacher (not to mention trying to play guitar or read music or read for that matter).  His words were ominous:  Sometimes we have to make choices.  We have to decide.  I can't have both near and far vision.  I picked the option of seeing better up close.  So that's what we're going to do.  Minus 1 diopter.  I can use readers to see ultra fine print and/or bifocals, which I'll also need for night driving.

I understand this.  I have to decide.  God willing, I've made the right decision.  




No comments: